FAX: (574) 236 – 4891
The REAL Services’ Energy Assistance Program is a State funded program that assists low-income households with electric and heating expenses during the winter months. Households must be within 60% of the State Median Income for households up to 8 household members, and 150% of the poverty guidelines for households with 9 or more members.
Persons interested in the Energy Assistance program must submit an application to determine their eligibility. Benefits depend on household-size, income, utility cost and fuel type. Persons with a disconnect notice must call after October 1, 2019 to set up an appointment for an interview to determine eligibility.
FOR ST JOSEPH COUNTY ONLY: For households who are between 60% of the SMI and 200% of the Federal Poverty level (hardship limit), funding may be available towards a NIPSCO gas disconnect notice.
Households with disconnect notices, or disconnected utilities should not use the mail-in application. Office appointments will assure that utility companies will be notified immediately upon approval.
Please do not come to any of the county offices without an appointment!
Please note the following:
- Eligibility is based on the previous 3 months of income.
- Households who have electric and/or heating utilities included in their rent may qualify for an EAP benefit. (The household must submit a full application with required documents, and meet the EAP income guidelines.) A household with utilities included in their rent MUST PAY A MINIMUM OF $1.00 IN RENT AND MUST SUBMIT A LANDLORD AFFIDAVIT.
- Households with electric and/or heating utility in a non household member’s name may still qualify for an EAP benefit (please complete and return a Utility Affidavit).
The following information must be submitted with the application (either mail-in or office appointment) for ALL household members. WRITTEN DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED FOR THESE: (Please send copies. Do not send originals. Originals may not be returned.)
- Copies of Social Security Cards.
- Copies of ID’s
- Proof of income for ALL household members 18 years and older. This includes all of the following types of income: wages, military pay, odd jobs, self-employment income, Social Security (also submit if receiving for a minor), SSI (also submit if receiving for a minor) , VA benefits and other pension, Workman’s Compensation, Unemployment Compensation, strike benefits, severance pay, dividends & interest on savings accounts and CD’s, rental income, royalties, income from estates and trust funds, annuities, insurance benefits and gaming winnings of over $400.
- Recent copies of electric and heating bills. (If bills are in the landlord’s name or included in the rent, a landlord affidavit MUST be submitted.)
- Landlord Affidavit or copy of signed lease (less than 24 months old) if either/both utilities are included in rent.
When the application is approved the utility companies will be notified and a credit is given to that account or fuel will be delivered. Utility companies cannot be notified of credits until after November 1, 2019.
THIS IS A ONE TIME CREDIT, NOT A MONTHLY PAYMENT.
Energy Assistance cannot be used for deposit money nor old bills.
REAL Services, Inc. administers the Energy Assistance Program in 5 counties, Elkhart, Fulton, Kosciusko, Marshall and St. Joseph. The EAP county offices are closed when applications are not accepted.
In order to make the application process easier mail-in applications are available for households without disconnect notices or disconnected utilities. A link to the application and other documents is available toward the top of this page or you may call our office at (574) 232 – 6501 or toll free (800) 225 – 3367 to request an application.
The Energy Assistance Program reserves the right to request additional information as necessary!