FAX: (574) 236 – 4891
Last day for Energy Assistance (EAP) is May 31, 2018.
You do not have to wait until November 1, 2017 to submit an application. However the Energy Assistance Program will not be able to notify the utility companies of any benefits until after November 1, 2017.
The REAL Services’ Energy Assistance Program is a State funded program that assists low-income households with electric and heating expenses during the winter months. Households must be within 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines to qualify.
Persons interested in the Energy Assistance program must submit an application to determine their eligibility. Benefits depend on household-size, income, utility cost and fuel type. Persons with a disconnect notice must call after October 2, 2017 to set up an appointment for an interview to determine eligibility.
Households with disconnect notices, or disconnected utilities cannot use the mail-in application.
Please do not come to any of the county offices without an appointment!
Please note the following changes to the Energy Assistance Program for the year 2017/2018:
- Eligibility is based on the previous 3 months of income (instead of 12 months of income).
- Households who have electric and/or heating utilities included in their rent may qualify for an EAP benefit. (The household must submit a full application with required documents, and meet the EAP income guidelines.) A household with utilities included in their rent MUST SUBMIT A LANDLORD AFFIDAVIT.
- Households with electric and/or heating utility in a non household member’s name may still qualify for an EAP benefit (please complete and return a Utility Affidavit).
- Applications may be submitted online .
The following information must be submitted with the application (either mail-in or office appointment) for ALL household members. WRITTEN DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED FOR THESE: (Please send copies. Do not send originals. Originals may not be returned.)
- Copies of Social Security Cards.
- Copies of ID’s
- Proof of income for ALL household members 18 years and older. This includes all of the following types of income: wages, military pay, odd jobs, self-employment income, Social Security (also submit if receiving for a minor), SSI (also submit if receiving for a minor) , VA benefits and other pension, Workman’s Compensation, Unemployment Compensation, strike benefits, severance pay, dividends & interest on savings accounts and CD’s, rental income, royalties, income from estates and trust funds, annuities, insurance benefits and gaming winnings of over $400.
- Recent copies of electric and heating bills. (If bills are in the landlord’s name or included in the rent, a landlord affidavit MUST be submitted.)
- Landlord Affidavit or copy of signed lease (less than 24 months old).
- Proof of homeownership if applicable
When the application is approved the utility companies will be notified and a credit is given to that account or fuel will be delivered.
THIS IS A ONE TIME CREDIT, NOT A MONTHLY PAYMENT.
Energy Assistance cannot be used for deposit, reconnect fees or old bills.
REAL Services, Inc. administers the Energy Assistance Program in 5 counties, Elkhart, Fulton, Kosciusko, Marshall and St. Joseph. The EAP county offices are closed when applications are not accepted.
In order to make the application process easier mail-in applications are available for households without disconnect notices or disconnected utilities. A link to the application and other documents is available at the top of this page or you may call our office at (574) 232 – 6501 or toll free (800) 225 – 3367 to request an application.
The Energy Assistance Program reserves the right to request additional information as necessary!